Saturday, September 25, 2010

The End of Week 3

Some might describe me as filthy or smelly; that is when they see the thin layer of red dirt hat covers my body, or the pieces of grass and bark in my hair. Some might say “you look like you haven’t showered in eight days and you wear the same outfit everyday,” that’s because I haven’t and because I have. But you know what, I don’t stink of Africa. I have just soaked it up. And let me tell you, there is plenty more white spots to fill with dirt. The dirt that represents the gratitude, kindness, and peace that I am discovering here in Africa. There is a smile shining everywhere you go; sure the smiles most likely have a story behind them. Are they smiling because I’m just a nutty mzungu (white person)? Or because they are happy to see me? Or because their father told them too? Since I have been abroad (heading into the beginning of week 4) I have been telling you about how peaceful Tanzania is, and of course, I genuinely believe that most of Tanzania and the people living here are. Although, some experiences I have had leave me questioning my beliefs.

One in particular is that of the Orphanage we visited a couple days ago. One of our professors stayed back at camp and after our trip we asked him why. He told us the honest truth about how the men in charge of the orphanages are most likely using the children to make money for themselves. Of course, they make enough money to keep the children fed, but when it comes to the “schooling” that people think they are paying for by sending in donations, it’s a bunch of crockery. That is why our professor did not want to attend the field trip; he cannot stand the lies that places like orphanages represent.

The role of women and children in this country is poor; they stay hidden behind the men and are not allowed to speak for themselves. Mind you, this is only in some cases. I have also been exposed to places where the women seem free from an overpowering male figure, and the children can run around and do as they please. I think it comes down to the cultural aspects of the family and their religious beliefs. But in general, men are the key players here and it’s disgusting how much power they have; hopefully the power they do possess, is being used in a positive way. Like all places in this world, in my opinion, corruption does exist. It’s inevitable; and now I can say I have experienced it in Tanzania, which makes me sad, but also, in a good sense, is making this experience a reality and not some “dream.” Tourists, for example, treat Africa as a dream, because that is all they are able to experience. The wildlife, the delicious food, the luxury. They forget about the reality of the world and everything that supports these companies and the tourism industry. In some cases, Africa is a huge spider web and it does a remarkable job of catching people before they see the underside of it all. Of course, I am not degrading tourism, it is essentially Africa’s largest source of income and is vital to their economy, I am just commenting on the strategies that make Africa what it is today and how those strategies can be misinterpreted. Peace and happiness radiates throughout Tanzania, but it is important to identify what’s a reality and what’s just a show.

On to other things, I experienced washing my own clothes. I am still hesitant on wearing the ones I washed because they are probably still infested with large amounts of laundry soap. I have so much respect for the women who have to do this daily for their children, their husband, and themselves. All you do is grab a bucket, fill it with some water, grab another bucket fill it with soap and water, and then you just start scrubbing. It’s a long and tough process; certainly makes you believe in only owning a couple pairs of everything. I have attempted to not get anything else dirty so I won’t have to wash it for the next couple months; however, as soon as I walk out my door, a thin layer of dust covers my body, so staying clean is definitely not a possibility. But, like I said, I’m just soaking up Africa, my clothes might as well do the same.

On Thursday, our only day off (our weekend day!), we went down to Mtu Wa Mbu and went on a 3.5 hour hike. It was really awesome just being able to explore the hills of Tanzania and avoid the bombardment of the venders. I was also able to talk to a lot of my classmates for a good amount of time, so the hike was a great source of bonding time as well as a good workout. My feet were red with dirt by the end, so once we arrived back at camp, I grabbed a bucket and a toothbrush and just scrubbed my toesies. I had not see them that white in a while, so that was nice to have such sparkling toes for about five minutes. And you probably don’t want to hear it, but I blew my nose at the end of the day and couldn’t believe how much blackness came out! It was disgusting, but also pretty exciting because I have never blown out so many black boogers before. Also, we were in town for a little bit that day, I have been getting good at bartering; although, I could still use some work. I got some beautiful cloth; it’s blue, yellow, green, black, with very pretty designs. I also got some sandals made out of tires and traded one of my famous tie-dye shirts for some bracelets. The sandals are surprisingly comfy and form well to my feet. It was a really impressive set up that the tire man had going on; he had hundreds of tires stacked up behind him and he was just sitting, carving sandals of all different sizes and designs. Thursday evening ended with a beautiful full moon. Probably the brightest moon I have ever seen in my life. It made our camp glow and having lights turned on almost made it feel like daytime.

I think my taste buds are starting to fail, mainly because we eat the same things everyday. Mind you, the food is delicious. We eat so many veggies everyday, it’s great. I have eaten tons of broccoli and lentils and tomatoes and cucumbers. My papa would be happy to know that I have become a vegetarian in Tanzania and will most likely remain one until I reach the states or until I find a good burger. I also eat a lot of rice and bananas. Here is a recipe for you all to try: Salad made of chopped up pineapple, tomatoes, and onions. Also, throw in a couple handfuls of raisins. Yes, I know, it sounds semi-disgusting, but it is delicious and one of my new favorite salads here in Africa. So bring some Tanzania into your life and add this salad to your main course for dinner ;). Let’s see I also eat a lot of bread. Delicious, warm, and fluffy bread. It’s so fluffy!! They make the best rolls for us! Also, we have to do cook crew about once a week. We get up around 6:30 am and help make breakfast which consists of eggs, crepes, hot dogs, oatmeal, fruit, tea, and toast. My specialty is flipping the crepes so far. Arthur, our head chef, likes changing up the flavor of the pancakes. We’ve had orange ones, banana-chocolate, cinnamon, they are always delicious. I have also become an avid tea drinker; I know longer think of tea as hot flavored water that tastes like bland spices. It has now become the caffeine in my life; however, I still dream about the day when I will be able to hold a triple, nonfat, latte from Starbucks in my right hand and a blueberry scone in my left. Although, this change of pace, diet, and atmosphere, has been both challenging and enlightening, and I can easily wait for a latte.

I hope all is well wherever you are . Tanzania is beautiful and I am loving each day. Getting up in the mornings has never been so easy. I wish you the best and hope life is full of peace and happiness.

Poa,

Katie
 
 
ps.  Here is the blogger website I am writing on for SCU incase you are interested ;)
 

http://cms.scu.edu/studyabroad/students/perspectives/blogs/

No comments:

Post a Comment