Thursday, September 16, 2010

It's Alhamisi (Thursday)!!

Mambo!

As the hair on my legs grows even longer, I find myself slowly melding into the peacefulness of Tanzania. Of course, it’s more than just my non-shaven legs that is opening my heart up to Africa… the people, their smiles and greetings just make me melt into Rotia’s soil. As I walk around the outside of our camp, I am kindly welcomed by the children, the older men, the younger men, and all the woman into their village. When was the last time you saw a stranger on the street and said “Good morning” or “How are you” or even just “Hello?” I find that this ease of friendliness does not exist in the States. It’s almost like greeting someone you do not know takes too much time or is just a hassle. Here in Tanzania, walking by someone and not greeting them or having them not greet you is a rare occasion, and I find myself soaking up every greeting I give and receive to the best of my ability; it just makes both parties feel a little warm inside.

With that said, I am still working on my Swahili skills. I want to be able to communicate with the people around me; not only in the villages and in the towns, but right here at my camp site with the staff. Our class today consisted of Swahili noun classes. They have eight in total and it’s pretty crazy! Different nouns have different ways of making them plural (you can’t just add an “s” at the end and be done, it is much more complicated). Let me give you a small tutorial: “mdudu” means insect and “wadudu” means insects, these words are apart of the M-WA class. Most of these nouns pertain to types of people and animals. Another word is “chakula” which means food, therefore (of course) “vyakula” means foods. Most of these nouns refer to places or things. These words are apart of the KI-VI & CH-VY class. In retrospect, learning these eight noun classes may not be as easy I as thought J .

Let’s see, two days ago we went to the Massai Manyattas to learn about the Massai culture. The trip was very interesting; we all learned a lot about the traditional Massai (first founded in the 15th century) rituals, dances, clothing, etc. It was informative for the most part; however, I spent the majority of my time playing with the children. The Bomas was a very new scene for all of us, much different than the villages and towns we’d been to before. I bet you’re wondering why…. Well, it’s mainly because the Massai, at least the ones still living in past times, make their villages tourist attractions. People who come visit Africa think of “the big 5” and “the Massai Warriors,” most tourists arrange to see both with their guides. The animals, of course, have adjusted to modernity and have continually evolved. The Massai however, steer clear from modernity and live a pastoral life which they exploit towards tourists. (Note: not all the Massai participate in the tourist industry) Visiting the Manyatta (village) was educational and enjoyable, but was it real? No, absolutely not. It’s like the “African Hollywood” but far more depressing because these people choose to live this way in order to make a profit from the tourists who come to see the people who can live in the wild with just a spear and a stick.

I am currently writing my paper on this topic and about to hop into the conclusion and recommendation side of things, and in my opinion the Massai involved in tourism should stop the show. They should leave history to the museums and venture out into the real Kenya and Tanzania (like most already have), they should find educational and job opportunities, and raise their children to become more than just Massai people building huts and drinking cattle blood and milk for the rest of their lives. I am certainly not degrading their traditions or history, I am most definitely a firm believer in traditions. I just feel that living the life that they are living simply for the appeasement and financial support of the tourists is unreasonable. They need to embrace the developing world and use it to move forward in life for themselves and for their children. The Massai should never give up their history or traditions, they are a renowned African tribe and should be proud of what they have accomplished over the decades. They should however, stop making their culture a commodity and adjust to the modern world around them to not only help themselves move forward, but help Africa as well.

Yesterday we visited the Iraqw Bomas. It was extremely different from the Massai experience in that they lived a modern life; however maintained their history to explain and show to us. We learned about traditional pot making, weddings, dances, and basket weaving. They were very welcoming and it was a very satisfying event to walk away from.

Today we had a couple classes, lunch, and then walked out in to Rotia to attend the secondary school’s graduation. It was, for the most part, typical of general graduation ceremonies (lots of boring speeches and proud parents); although, there was a lot of dancing and singing! The students sang a lot and then the community danced, drummed, and sang as well. It was a very enjoyable ceremony, and again, the people were very welcoming and enjoyed having us there. We have a lot of work to get done. Two reports and a paper, as well as tons and tons of reading. It’s a lot to keep track of, but a due date is a due date, so it will get finished somehow. Everyone here kind of forgot we would have school too. So it’s been kind of a smack in the face when I have to tell myself to sit down (in Africa!!!) and read. But, like I said before, the reading is interesting; and learning and broadening my mind is a good thing. Plus the educational aspect of it all just adds to the experience.

Next time you're out, walking on the sidewalk, or downtown, or on the bus, think about how easy it is to say hello to someone who you passes by or sits next too. It may brighten their day, and it will certainly brighten yours.

Salama (peace),

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment